Sunday, February 8, 2009

She’s real fine my Subaru Outback


She’s real fine my Subaru Outback
She’s real fine my Subaru Outback
My Subaru

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes.

“My Subaru Outback” does not have the ring of “409”. The “409” bringing back memories of sun, sand, bikinis and surf—and of course freedom. My Subaru was freedom and I lost that freedom last Tuesday when I got in a wreck. One split second decision cost me my $500 deductible and $200 in rental car fees. The cost to fix the damage on my car $2700. What I thought was minor turned into major and for the next couple weeks I will not have a car.

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes.

All of us spend a lot of money on cars. Every year, I spend over $2,000 in gas, auto insurance, car repairs, license fee that’s roughly $40 a week. I’ve owned my own car for 27 years that’s give or take $54,000 dollars just in upkeep. These days’s the average car costs around $20,000 dollars. What happened to “pennies and dimes”?

Maybe “pennies and dimes” is what we all think when we get our first driver’s license. All you can think about is driving your friends to school. The first all day outing with your friends. I can still remember driving to Half Moon Bay, with the sound of Journeys “Lights in the City” playing in the background. The fear of screwing up the clutch on my parents 1968 Volvo station wagon

“Pennies and dimes” turns into Porsches, Corvettes and Jaguars. “Pennies and dimes” becomes power and status. People are willing to turn their houses into piggy banks to lease a BMW. “Pennies and dimes” become Mercedes ‘Unlike any other”; Honda “The Power of Dreams”; Acura “The True definition of luxury. Yours. Acura. Precision crafted performance; Alfa Romeo, Beauty is not enough. Power for your control.

“Pennies and dimes” this year has become Hyundai, “Buy our car and if you lose your job you can return it.” General Motors and Ford are being bailed out by the government. Car dealerships are failing. People are keeping their cars and repairing them—instead of turning them at the first hint of trouble. On the TV its “$5,000 off”, employee deals, and on and on.

“Pennies and dimes” For the next couple weeks it will be “$1.75 and a $1.75” that’s what it will take to ride the bus. What will it be like to join people who do not have cars? People who may not have the money to own a car?

She’s real fine my Subaru Outback

No comments: